Sunday, July 17, 2011

Lifes a Gamble








It seems that no matter what we choose in life;the paths we direct ourselves down, whether it involves our jobs,health,love,and well being it all comes with understandable risks. Some odds are better than others. We simply play the cards we are dealt and let the chips fall as they may. I've never been one to plan for my future. I've always approached life with a care free attitude. I'm a leaf that just fell from its tree and landed in a nearby stream. I have no idea where I'm headed...I'm just going to enjoy the ride.
 It does seem that we try to hedge our bets with the best possible odds.We take care of our bodies in the best way we can to maintain a healthy lifestyle.We work our jobs and try to live within our means for the better way of life. Or a better way as we understand it.However, when it comes to love....All bets are off. It does not seem that we hedge our bets in the same manner as other aspects in life. I've seen friends completely disregard the sure bet (the "right partner")and go for a completely 1,000,000 to 1 shot. Love knows no boundaries to our way of life. Our lifestyles.
 Richard Gere in "Pretty Woman".....a man full of wealth and prosperity could have any woman he wants. He falls in love with a hooker.
 Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber" driving cross country after his dream girl Mary Swanson knowing that he was a...as Mary Swanson put it..."a million to one shot". To which Carrey (Lloyd) replies: "So you're telling me there's a chance!"


 One thing I've learned over the years is you can't help who you're attracted to.Someone who may seem completely incompatible to you will have the ability to broadside you with emotions and love. A person who you just know is "No good for you" has the ability to make one forget about that with an out pouring of unexpectedness and sudden desire. We walk down paths toward someone and not care that its potentially a dead end street. 


 I've never been the kind of guy that relies on "fate" or "destiny" to control my life. In fact I do not believe in these. Other than being in complete control of them. I do not believe that the universe was designed with me in mind....or that heaven has a plan for me. (Thanks Hitchins for that one liner.)Nor do I believe there is meaning to life....unless we create our own meaning. I love Richard Dawkin's quote on the meaning of life:
 "The universe doesn't owe us meaning.there's no reason why there should be any meaning.It might be comforting if there is...it might be consoling...it would be nice to think that there is meaning in everything,but we are not owed meaning.If there isn't any meaning; there isn't any meaning. And that's just tough!"


Life is dictated by sheer luck and random chance. Its a good thing....Luck is helpful when placing our bets in life. Luck is needed to survive in this life. Good luck everyone. Lifes a gamble.

No comments:

Post a Comment