Sunday, August 21, 2011

20 Years of Tennis Living

20 years of Tennis magazine



This summer marks my 20th year as a tennis player. My cousin introduced me to the sport in the summer of 1991,which was a great, inexpensive way to spend my weekends during my summer break from high school. Every Friday and Saturday night during that summer were make shift round robin tennis tourneys with my two cousins and my two brothers. Each player would compete against another in a 4 game set and a tally of total games won throughout pool play determined semifinalists. One of us wasn't making the cut and I was always determined to not let it be me. Long hours spent teaching myself the game and all my bad habits have lingered for the last 20 years :)
Martina Navratilova. Charleston SC 2004


I was cleaning out a closet this week and stumbled upon my 20 years of Tennis magazine. This put me in a reflective mood. 20 great years of memories both on and off the courts. Travelling to tournaments to watch and of course these days to play.
Billie Jean King, Raleigh NC 1999
Monica Seles,Raleigh NC 1999
 

I compete on the GLTA tour three or four times a year and that's a great way to compete. I've been on the tour for four years now. My two favorite activities combined....tennis and travel.  Atlanta,Orlando,Raleigh,Washington DC,Amsterdam,New York....and many more to come.
Playing a doubles match on Louis Armstrong at the BJKNTC, New York City;2009


I have gotten away from summer tennis over the past couple years. Partly due to pursuing other interests. I tend to play more tennis during the fall and winter. 5 to 6 hours a week indoors. Indoor tennis is by far more relaxing. No wind,heat,sun or rain. Controlled conditions are perfect. I need all the help I can get. 
Big serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment