Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fly Like an Eagle







 In the past couple of weeks I have been doing some routine pampering and maintenance to my car. Oil change,tire rotation,state inspection,wash,wax,and vacuum. My annual "car appreciation month". Yes it's true. It seems that I'm so lazy about this that my car is lucky to be washed and waxed more than once a year,and I drive it very short distances these days that it only require two to three oil changes a year. It seems my 12 month state inspection always get pushed to a 14-16 month as well. Yes, it seems much neglect and laziness is applied to my car,and yet my car has really stood the test of time. I may treat it like dirt and of course let it wear dirt but my 1998 Eagle Talon has never let me down. A true friend indeed.
 Eagle was purchased in late 1997 as a gift to myself as  congratulatory for acquiring my new job with the USPS and a recent move from my hometown of Bassett,VA to my new home and new life in Roanoke,VA. Very few objects I've owned has lasted longer than Eagle. I drove that bad boy right off the lot and it never bothered me that I payed the sticker price and was probably nickled and dimed more than I should have. Talk about young,dumb,and full of....well you know.
 I paid Eagle off in five years and I have enjoyed a car payment free life ever since. Almost 15 years old and still kicking like a 4 year old. Oh sure, it shows its age. I have some minor issues with my sunroof (at least it doesn't leak) and a slight oil leak that has not really been that much a burden til recently as I've had to start adding quarts of oil in between oil changes. This is in part due to the length of time it takes me to actually change oil since It rarely gets large amounts of mileage in any given road trip. Last week my car hit 129,000 miles. Very low considering the age.
 Eagle and I have traveled all over together.
Atlanta,GA
Washington,DC
Nashville,TN
Charleston,SC
Savannah,GA
Edgewater,NJ
Atlantic City,NJ
Baltimore,MD
Raleigh,NC
....and many more places....It seems to like to travel more than I. 
 Every now and then my eyes will start to drift to all the new car dealers as I pass their lots. I wonder how long I will be able to avoid the temptation to trade Eagle in. I start to think how great Eagle has been to me and I just don't have what it takes to "get rid" of her. I'm pretty sure Eagle and I will be together until she rots away. Last year I even treated her to a bumper sticker. "Evolution happens whether you like it or not!" with a picture of Mr Darwin himself. Thanks for helping me spread the word Eagle :) 
 I have been approached several times about selling Eagle,but she is just too good of a reliable friend to part ways. I'm sure the day will come in which I must say good bye to my car. All good things must come to an end. But until then.....I'm going out for a joy ride.









No comments:

Post a Comment